TVP (textured vegetable protein) is a perfect replacement for non-vegan mince in traditional Bolognese dishes.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup of dried TVP mince
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup cooked wholemeal pasta
- Dissolve the stock powder in the boiling water in a bowl and stir in the TVP, tomato paste, basil and half the crushed garlic. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, fry the remaining garlic with the diced onion in oil until soft, then add the broccoli, mushrooms and carrot. Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the TVP mixture.
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve over wholemeal pasta. (Cook the pasta while making the Bolognese sauce). Sprinkle with homemade vegan Parmesan (see recipe >> here).
- Garnish with fresh basil and sliced black olives, if you have any.
*Note for Challengers: Tomorrow’s breakfast will need to be prepared tonight.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I didn’t have mushrooms and broccoli so I substituted with kale and spinach. My partner rated it 10/10 and his on his second day of being vegan. This will be a family favourite !