White Bean Pasta
Pasta is a wonderful comfort food. Satisfy yourself with this tomato based white bean sauce.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped (keep juice)
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- Bunch of fresh basil leaves, cut finely
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Iodised salt to taste (optional) and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry pasta (use gluten free pasta for GF option)
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed
Vegan Parmesan for topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup almonds or pepitas
- 1 tsp iodised salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- In a large non-stick pan, heat olive oil on a medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft. Add chopped tomato with its juice. Raise the heat slightly and cook, stirring until the tomatoes are bubbling.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook gently, mashing the tomatoes often until they have cooked down into a thick sauce. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and herbs, and season to taste with oregano, salt and pepper.
- If sauce seems dry add water to the pan and stir.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then add pasta and cook al dente. Drain the pasta, toss with the sauce and serve with broccoli on the side.
- Sprinkle with a vegan parmesan or other cheese alternative if desired.
For the Parmesan
- Grind the nuts (in a coffee grinder or a blender with a milling blade) and then mix in the nutritional yeast flakes and salt.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and sprinkle on savoury dishes.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!