Warm Kale Salad with Maple Mustard Tempeh and Ruby Kraut
A seasonal warm kale salad with tangy maple mustard tempeh and sauerkraut. Rich in plant-based protein and gut-friendly fermented foods, an easy and flavourful vegan lunch or dinner.
For the Tempeh
- 1 8-oz block of tempeh
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
For the Salad and Dressing
- 1 bunch of kale (about 10 stalks), washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini
- pinch of sea salt
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 Tbsp of warm water
- sauerkraut, homemade or store bought
- roasted vegetables, avocado, or other add-ins, optional
- Place the block of tempeh in a shallow dish or bowl and pour 2 cups of boiling water over it. Cover with a lid or plate so the tempeh can steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the tamari, dijon, maple syrup, and broth. Set aside. Take this time to prepare your salad dressing as well by whisking together the tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and warm water. Set aside.
- After the tempeh is finished steaming, pat it dry. Cut it into 8 slices and then cut those slices diagonally to make a total of 16 triangles.
- Heat a large skillet over medium with 1 tbsp of oil. Add the pieces of tempeh to the pan, trying not to overlap them. Let them cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, then flip each piece and cook for another 5 minutes.
- At this point, your tempeh should be browned and slightly crispy. Now add the maple dijon sauce to the pan and cook for 5-10 more minutes. Spoon the marinade over the tempeh to help saturate it while it cooks. The sauce will thicken up and caramelize- stop cooking before it burns and sticks to the pan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the tempeh in, add the kale along with a splash of water. Cover and steam until slightly wilted.
- To assemble, divide the steamed kale between 2 or 3 dishes. Top with the tempeh, roasted veggies, and sauerkraut or raw cabbage. Drizzle the tahini dressing over each serving and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi there! I'm Jillian and I have a passion for plants. See all recipes by Jillian