Vegan Butter Spice Tofu
For a simple dish that is comforting and decadent, try this Vegan Butter Spice Tofu (gluten-free). Made with rich coconut milk and warming spices, it'll leave you wanting more!
- 350 g block of medium or firm tofu
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp finely grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric
- 1 heaped tsp coriander powder
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (very important to use full fat!)
- 1 tsp soy sauce or Bragg’s seasoning
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Extra chopped fresh coriander and rice, to serve
- Preheat your oven’s grill/broiler. Cut the tofu into roughly 1½-2cm cubes.
- Place the tofu in an oven-proof dish, and add ½ tbsp oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss the tofu in the pan to ensure it’s well-coated.
- Grill/broil in the oven for 12-14 minutes until it is golden brown, then flip the tofu over, and re-season with salt and pepper. Grill for 8-10 minutes more until golden but not dried out, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the tofu is grilling, prepare the sauce. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan on a medium/low heat, and gently sauté the garlic and ginger in it for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the spices and stir for another minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, coconut milk and Bragg’s to the pan, bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture starts to stick, turn the heat down a little and add some more coconut milk or water.
- Add the grilled tofu to the sauce and simmer the mixture for a further 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa or millet and garnish each plate with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Food for me is a passion. I find it strange when people comment on the restrictions of a plant-based diet, because to me there is huge variety in it. In fact, I’m probably more adventurous with food now than I was before I turned vegan. I love colour and vitality in my recipes as well as simplicity and elegance. See all recipes by Elizabeth