Vegan Black Bean Enchiladas ★★★★★2 reviews
Pass the guacamole and dig into these vegan black bean enchiladas. Filled with black beans and corn, and topped with avocado and lime, these enchiladas make a satisfying midweek meal that the whole family will enjoy. Recipe by Keri from the Daily Dish.
Serves 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 50 mins
Black Bean and Corn Filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli pepper
- 3 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can corn drained
- 400 ml (1 ¾ cups) passata/tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 corn tortillas
- 100 grams (1 cup) vegan grated cheese *optional
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper *optional
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
To Make The Black Bean Filling
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan. Sauté the onions with the sea salt until they are soft and caramelised, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste, beans (liquid included), and corn and give everything a good stir. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
To Make The Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Combine the passata with the cayenne, sugar and oregano.
- Spread half of the passata and spice mixture over the bottom of a baking dish.
- Assemble the enchiladas by filling each corn tortilla with a few spoonfuls of the bean mixture and rolling into a parcel. Place them seam side down in the dish .
- Pour the remaining passata over the enchiladas and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the (optional) vegan cheese over the top of the enchiladas and return the enchiladas to the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, jalapenos, chopped tomatoes cilantro and lime slices.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi! I'm Keri. I'm the recipe developer and photographer behind Daily Dish. I created Daily Dish to celebrate simple, tasty vegan recipes. I have a passion for inspiring eaters of all kinds to embrace a plant based lifestyle that's nourishing for your body and mind and creates a kinder, healthier planet. See all recipes by Keri
I followed these excellent step by step instructions, and can honestly say that 1) instructions were super easy to follow 2) It tasted great !!
I’ve suddenly started enjoying cooking again. Great dish.