Vegan Black Bean Enchiladas
Pass the guacamole and dig into these vegan black bean enchiladas. Filled with black beans and corn, and topped with avocado and lime, these enchiladas make a satisfying midweek meal that the whole family will enjoy. Recipe by Keri from the Daily Dish.
Serves 4 | Prep: 10 min | Cooking/Baking: 50 min
For The Black Bean and Corn Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli pepper
- 3 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 can corn drained
For The Enchiladas:
- 400 ml (1 ¾ cups) passata/tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 corn tortillas
- 100 grams (1 cup) vegan grated cheese *optional
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper *optional
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- 1 handful cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
To Make The Black Bean Filling:
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan. Sauté the onions with the sea salt until they are soft and caramelised, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste, beans (liquid included), and corn and give everything a good stir. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
To Make The Enchiladas:
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Combine the passata with the cayenne, sugar and oregano.
- Spread half of the passata and spice mixture over the bottom of a baking dish.
- Assemble the enchiladas by filling each corn tortilla with a few spoonfuls of the bean mixture and rolling into a parcel. Place them seam side down in the dish .
- Pour the remaining passata over the enchiladas and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the (optional) vegan cheese over the top of the enchiladas and return the enchiladas to the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, jalapenos, chopped tomatoes cilantro and lime slices.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi! I'm Keri. I'm the recipe developer and photographer behind Daily Dish. I created Daily Dish to celebrate simple, tasty vegan recipes. I have a passion for inspiring eaters of all kinds to embrace a plant based lifestyle that's nourishing for your body and mind and creates a kinder, healthier planet. See all recipes by Keri