The Ultimate Vegan Pulled Jerk-BBQ
We originally made this dish with just jackfruit BUT it was missing something. It needed that extra bite; so we added in some king oyster mushrooms. The combination of the two is BANGIN and not to mention the combination of the jerk seasonings and BBQ sauce... OMG! If you like your food spicy like we do, go crazy with the cayenne pepper IF NOT hold back on the cayenne pepper. Either way, we hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do and be sure to share with your family and friends.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or oil of your choice
- 1 can unsweetened jackfruit in brine
- 2-3 king oyster mushrooms; sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves
- no chicken bouillon paste or vegetable broth
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
- jerk paste/ jerk seasoning
- 1 small onion; chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 150C / 300F
- In a small bowl combine the jerk seasoning with avocado oil to make a paste. Stir together until it is a smooth consistency. Add more oil if needed.
- Slice the king oyster mushrooms into thin slices. Then brush both sides with the jerk seasoning. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven; we’ll work on the jackfruit. Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Remove the seeds, and cut off the hard ends as demonstrated in the video.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp of oil along with the small onion and garlic cloves. Cook until fragrant.
- Next, add in the jackfruit to the pan and stir to combine. When combined well add 2 Tbsps. of the Jerk sauce and stir.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth or no chicken broth. Allow the jackfruit to cook down until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside when done.
- When the king oyster mushrooms are out the oven use two forks and pull apart the mushrooms until the are completely shredded.
- Next, pour the BBQ sauce in a saucepan on medium heat and add a tsp of jerk sauce. Stir to combine and allow it cook down until the sauce begins to bubbles up.
- Combine the jackfruit and shredded mushrooms in a pan. Then pour about a half cup of the jerk BBQ sauce to the pan. Stir to combine
- Add the mixture to a non-stick baking pan or parchment paper. Cook for 1 hour at 200C / 400F
- Once it comes out the oven pour on the remaining sauce. Then cook for an additional 10 mins.
- When done, stir, serve and enjoy!!!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
It was fun and exciting learning how to remake all of our favorite dishes before becoming vegan. Our specialty is recreating comfort foods and Caribbean classics.
See all recipes by Carlos