The Ultimate Vegan Lasagna
We make this lasagna for literally, every holiday or party. Our non-vegan friends and family can't tell that this is vegan. We don't want to keep rambling, SO we hope you all like this recipe as much as we do!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- Gardein beef crumbles OR substitute
- 1 Tbsp no beef bouillon ( Optional)
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar (optional)
Tofu- Cashew Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for 4-8 hours)
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot, bring water to boil. Then add lasagna noodles to cook. Follow package directions. When done set aside to cool.
- After the cashews have soaked for 4 to 8 hours. Place cashews, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, garlic cloves and salt into a blender and blend until smooth. Next break the tofu into chunks then add to the blender. Pulse until texture is chunky resembling ricotta cheese. In a medium bowl combine cooked spinach and ricotta cheese. Stir well and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place the 2 Tbsps olive oil in a saucepan and heat on medium heat. Next, add diced shallots and garlic to the pan and cook until translucent. Next, add the “beef crumbles” to the pan stir and until well combined. Add the no beef bouillon and stir to combine, then add the pasta sauce and the spice blend. Mix ingredients until well combined and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In your favorite lasagna pan add about 1 cup of the meat sauce to the bottom of the pan, spread it evenly. Next, add 4/5 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture on top. Next, sprinkle mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layering process and evenly.
- For the cheese sauce; place a saucepan on medium-low heat. Add 2 Tbsps of olive oil and the rest of the mozzarella shreds. Cook until the cheese is completely melted and bubbling; while whisking continuously. When done, spread evenly on the top of the lasagna.
- Bake on 190C / 375 F for 35-40 mins, uncovered.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it cool for 15 mins. Enjoy!!
* Cooking Tip * Be sure to do step 5 AFTER you build the lasagna. The cheese sauce MUST be placed onto the lasagna while it’s hot off the stove.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
It was fun and exciting learning how to remake all of our favorite dishes before becoming vegan. Our specialty is recreating comfort foods and Caribbean classics.
See all recipes by Carlos