Hearty Minestrone Soup with Risoni
Warm up with this cosy, vegan minestrone soup complete with all the healthy goodness from beans, cabbage, carrot, celery, spinach, garlic and onion. Recipe by Jimmy.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 80g/2.8oz risoni (a.k.a. orzo pasta)
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/8 cabbage
- 400g/14oz diced tomato (can)
- 400g/14oz white beans (can)
- 1 tsp spice mix (Italian herbs, chilli flakes)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 veg stock cube
- 2 bread rolls (wholegrain)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Prep – Finely dice onion and mince garlic. Dice carrot into 0.5cm cubes. Slice celery into thin half moon shapes. Thinly slice cabbage lengthwise. Rinse the white beans.
- Fry – Place a large saucepan with 2 Tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Add celery, cabbage, sugar and spice mix and cook for 1 more minute.
- Cook – Add to the same saucepan: diced tomatoes, stock cube, risoni, and 3 cups of water. Bring to the boil then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the rinsed white beans and simmer for a further 6-7 minutes.
- Taste – Add salt and pepper and taste the soup. Add some more water if the soup becomes too thick. Remove from heat and add spinach.
- Finish & Serve – Place soup in bowls. Garnish with nutritional yeast and serve with bread roll on the side.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hello, my name is Jimmy. I am the founder and recipe developer of VegMeUp, a vegan meal-kit delivery service in Melbourne, Australia. See all recipes by Jimmy