Caribbean Pumpkin Chick’n Soup
Its finally starting to feel like fall, and we decided to share with you a soup that we love to have. This soup is a staple in Jamaican homes. We, of course, put our own twist on it and OH. MY. GOODNESS, it's so good! This soup is filled with veggies, dumplings, and tofu (which is optional, but it's a great addition to this dish.) Also, this dish traditionally includes yellow yam, and cho cho (chayote) but we don't like either so we didn't include it.
WARNING this is not your typical "chick'n noodle soup" this soup is RICH, HEARTY, THICK & ADDICTING!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 4 cups Jamaican pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1, 15oz / 425g can pumpkin puree
- 1, 20oz / 560g can jackfruit (unsweetened)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 corn on the cobbs, cut into 4 each
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 225 g / 8 oz Hodo curry nuggets or tofu (optional)*
- 950 ml / 32 oz no chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp no chicken bouillon paste
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup filini pasta noodles
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- salt to taste*
- VEGAN chicken noodle soup seasoning mix ( We used Frontier chicken noodle soup seasoning mix)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Mix together in a medium bowl until dough is stiff. It will make 7/8 medium dumplings.
- Rinse and drain jackfruit. Place on a cutting board to cut off hard ends of jackfruit and discard of the seeds. Place to the side when finished.
- In a large pot, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion and fresh garlic cloves, cook until fragrant.
- Next, add the red & green bell pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the no chicken broth and the water to the pot.
- Add the no chicken bouillon paste and stir.
- Add the pumpkin puree, and stir. Place lid on the pot and allow it to come to a boil.
- Prepare dumplings, as you wait for the soup to boil.
- Once the soup begins to boil, add in carrots and celery.
- Next, add the butternut squash and potatoes.
- Add in jackfruit, and stir.
- Add the Hodo curry nuggets (optional)* and stir.
- Next add in the vegan chicken noodle soup seasoning mix, thyme, and spice blend. Then stir to combine. When this comes to boil, add in the habanero pepper (scotch bonnet).
- Add pasta and stir to combine.
- Add dumplings, and lastly the corn on the cobb. Stir to combine. Cover and let it simmer on medium to low heat for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once the soup thickens, it is ready to serve!
- ** For added heat, you can cut the habanero pepper in half**
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
It was fun and exciting learning how to remake all of our favorite dishes before becoming vegan. Our specialty is recreating comfort foods and Caribbean classics.
See all recipes by Carlos