Serves 5 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins
- 5 bread rolls or buns
- 1 cup bread crumbs (or about 4 slices of bread to make crumbs from)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 beetroots
- 2 tsp vegan bouillon or vegetable stock powder
- a good dash of cumin
- white pepper, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- a splash of agave
- soy sauce, to taste
- a little Cooking oil
- Optional fillings: lettuce, tomato, avocado, and other burger extras
- For the burgers make a cup of bread crumbs. I always make my own by getting some good bread and cutting it into slices and putting it in the oven at 180C / 355F until crispy. Should be about 4 slices.
- Then in a pot cook half a cup of brown rice with a cup of water.
- Once cooked add the rice, the bread crumbs, 2 grated beetroots, 2 teaspoons of vegan bullion or veg stock powder, a good dash of cumin, white pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper and a splash of agave and soy sauce into a food processor with a metal S blade on it and whiz up to combine.
- The mix is ready when it sticks together and holds shape. Pull out sections and shape into patties (should make about 5) and rest them on a plate in the fridge for half an hour before cooking in a fry pan or on a BBQ with a little bit of oil!
- Put in a bun with your favourite burger extras
If you like this recipe then be sure to check out David’s blog A fist full of hummus, recipes of an unconventional vegan!