This should make enough for about 5 burgers
- 5 bread rolls or buns
- 1 cup of bread crumbs (or about 4 slices of bread to make crumbs from)
- 1/2 cup of brown rice
- 2 beetroots
- 2 tea spoons of vegan bouillon or vegetable stock powder
- a good dash of cumin
- white pepper
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- a splash of agave
- soy sauce
- a little Cooking oil
- optional lettuce, tomato, avocado, and other burger extras
1. For the burgers make a cup of bread crumbs. I always make my own by getting some good bread and cutting it into slices and putting it in the oven at 180C / 355F until crispy. Should be about 4 slices.
2. Then in a pot cook half a cup of brown rice with a cup of water.
3. Once cooked add the rice, the bread crumbs, 2 grated beetroots, 2 tea spoons of vegan bullion or vegetable stock powder, a good dash of cumin, white pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper and a splash of agave and soy sauce into a food processor with a metal S blade on it and whiz up to combine.
4. The mix is ready when it sticks together and holds shape. Pull out sections and shape into patties (should make about 5) and rest them on a plate in the fridge for half an hour before cooking in a fry pan or on a BBQ with a little bit of oil!
5. Put in a bun with your favourite burger extras
If you like this recipe then be sure to check out David’s Blog A fist full of hummus, recipes of an unconventional vegan!