Vietnamese Pho with Tofu
Phở is a popular Vietnamese soup that will warm your insides and delight your taste buds. Enjoy this flavourful vegan version by chef Jimmy.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 200g/7oz tofu
- 2 bok choy
- 50g/1.8oz bean sprouts
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks fresh coriander
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 170g/6oz rice noodles
- 1 veg stock cube
- 1 Tbsp spice mix (star anise, cinnamon, clove, coriander seeds)
- 1cm fresh ginger
- 1 onion
- 25g/0.9oz peanuts
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce (use Tamari for GF)
- 1 tsp hot sauce (sriracha)
- Prep & Cook – Peel onion, slice in quarters. Slice ginger into 4 pieces. Place saucepan on medium heat with spice mix. Cook for 3 minutes then add onion, ginger, 4 cups of water, stock cube and 2 Tbsp of soy sauce (or Tamari). Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Marinate – Place remaining soy sauce (or Tamari) and sriracha sauce on a plate, mix well. Slice tofu into 1/2cm (approx. 1/4 in) thick squares and place on the plate to marinate. After 4 minutes turn the tofu to marinate the other side.
- Cook & Fry – Place rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 7-8 minutes until cooked. Drain and rinse noodles and set aside. Place fry pan on high heat with 1 Tbsp of oil. Fry tofu on both sides until golden (2 minutes each side).
- Prep – Grate carrot. Wash and slice bok choy lengthwise into smaller pieces. Slice lime into wedges. Coarsely slice coriander. Strain the broth through a fine strainer catching the broth in a bowl or pan.
- Finish & Serve – Place rice noodles, bok choy, carrot and bean sprouts in a bowl. Gently cover with boiling hot broth. Garnish with fried tofu, peanuts, coriander and a lime wedge.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hello, my name is Jimmy. I am the founder and recipe developer of VegMeUp, a vegan meal-kit delivery service in Melbourne, Australia. See all recipes by Jimmy