Vegan Zucchini Bread
Soft, moist and fluffy vegan zucchini bread that's perfectly spiced, lightly sweetened and lovely for a delicious treat any time of day. Recipe by Deryn of Running on Real Food.
Serves 8 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 45 mins
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and excess liquid squeeze out (150g, about 1 cup before draining)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (225g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (80ml)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (120ml)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature (60ml)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla coconut yogurt, at room temperature (115g)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (55g)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Grate the zucchini and place in a strainer to drain. You can squeeze it with your hand or use a spatula to press it against the side of the strainer to remove excess liquid. Alternatively, wrap the grated zucchini up in a dish cloth and squeeze out excess water.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt) to a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Make sure no clumps remain and the baking powder and baking soda have been thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the drained grated zucchini to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until the pieces are distributed and coated in flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (coconut oil, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup). Note that it is important these are all room temperature otherwise the coconut oil will solidify. If you only have chilled applesauce and yogurt, warm them briefly in the microwave until they come to room temperature. If you’re using an alternative oil, no need to worry if the ingredients are chilled.
- Making a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and gently fold together until all of the flour has been wetted, taking care not to over work the batter.
- Lastly, fold in the crushed walnuts
- Lightly spray a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray then scoop the batter into the pan and shake or spread to even it out.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes then run a knife along the sides and carefully flip out the pan.
- Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I'm Deryn, I live in BC, Canada. Since 2013 I've been sharing my experiences in healthy eating, fitness and fuelling your "engine" with real, plant-based foods. See all recipes by Deryn