Vegan Eggs – Sunny Side Up!
Surprisingly easy and much better than the real thing. Eggs are super high in saturated fat and cholesterol which we know leads to heart disease. The protein in eggs is highly inflammatory (yes, even the whites) and they have been linked to various cancers. Eggs are perfect... for a baby chick. Not for human health.
This plant-based egg is low in fat, nutritious and yummy! You could serve them on sourdough with avocado or in place of an egg in Ramen.
Serves 8 'eggs' | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 150g pumpkin, steamed and cooled
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp black salt*
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- 8 Tbsp glutinous rice flour
- 200ml water
- Pinch of salt
- To make the yolk, blend pumpkin, cornflour, water, black pepper, salt and nutritional yeast in a blender until smooth.
- Next blend cashew butter, rice flour, water and salt until smooth to make the white.
- In a non-stick frying pan on medium to high heat, spoon 2 tablespoons of white mixture onto surface of the pan. Allow to spread and cook for about 20 seconds.
- Add a dollop of yolk mixture into the centre of the white. Cook until white is firm and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once all eggs have been made, place in oven at 170C/338F for about 10 minutes to cook through.
- Serve warm.
Note: *Black salt is also known as ‘kala namak’ and can be found in local supermarkets, and Asian or Indian grocers. It has a sulphurous smell and taste. It can also be called Himalayan black salt.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
BreakfastLunchStartersOtherGluten FreeLow Fat
After my own experience with the benefits of a changed diet, I have become a plant-based nutrition advocate. I’ve used a low fat, whole food plant-based diet to recover from autoimmune conditions and I’m passionate about helping others access the benefits of plant-based eating through sustainable lifestyle change. See all recipes by Rebecca