Richly textured and nutritious vegan chilli. Flavourful, comforting and satisfying.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins
- 60g/2.1oz (1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp) TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/4 vegetable stock cube (low sodium)
- 50g/1.8oz red onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 75g/2.6oz carrot (1 small-medium carrot)
- 200g/7oz (3/4 cup) canned diced tomatoes
- 100g/3.5oz black beans (abt 3/4 cup, rinsed & drained)
- 100g/3.5oz red kidney beans (abt 3/4 cup, rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Other seasonings of choice (e.g. iodised salt, hot paprika, dried oregano, chilli pepper)
- Chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Optional: a handful of baby spinach
- Mix the stock cube with 1/2 cup of boiled water. Rehydrate the TVP mince by pouring the stock water over it in a bowl. Set aside.
- Chop onion and carrot.
- In a heated non-stick deep pan, add 1 tablespoon of water and cumin and stir. Then add onion to sauté. After a few minutes add the rehydrated mince and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the black beans, red kidney beans, carrot and diced tomatoes. Add your chosen seasonings and stir. Allow to simmer over low heat with lid on top for about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in baby spinach, if using.
- Once done, top with fresh herbs and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!