Vegan Blackforest Cake Trifle
A delicious Vegan Black Forest Cake Trifle. Chocolate Sponge, Kirsch Soaking Syrup, Cherry Filling and Whipped Cream.
For Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1 cup Soy Milk + 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed and left to sit for 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Instant Espresso
- 1 cup Pastry/Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
For Kirsch Soaking Syrup
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch
For Chocolate Ganache
- 2 ounces/75 grams 70% Dark Chocolate (Vegan)
- 2 ounces/75 grams Non-Dairy Cream
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
For Cherry Filling
- 1 1/2 cups Pitted Morello Cherries (from a Jar)
- 9 tablespoons Cherry Juice
- 4 1/2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1/4 4 teaspoon Cornstarch
For Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Rich’s Whipped Topping or any other alternative
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Enough Sugar to sweeten to your liking
For Coconut Whipped Cream (if you can’t find Non-Dairy Whipping Cream)
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Cream (skimmed from the top of a chilled tin of Coconut Milk)
- 5 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Shaved Vegan Dark Chocolate
- Fresh Cherries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Whisk Soy Milk and Vinegar together and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. In a big bowl, combine Sugar, Oil, Soy Milk, Salt and Instant Espresso. Whisk to combine.
- Sieve in Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Cocoa Powder. Whisk till smooth.
- Line a 10 x 14 inch sheet pan with Non-Stick Baking Paper and pour batter onto pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool.
- To prepare Soaking Syrup, combine Sugar and Water in a pot. Boil till sugar is dissolved and continue to boil for a minute or two until slightly thickened. Pour syrup into a bowl and whisk in Kirsch. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Cherry Filling. Halve your cherries and combine In a pot with Cherry Juice, Sugar and Cornstarch. Cook over low heat, whilst always stirring, until thickened and glossy. Pour into a bowl to cool.
- To prepare Chocolate Ganache, warm Non Dairy Cream in the microwave or in a saucepan. Pour hot cream over your 70% Chocolate, and then leave to sit for 1 minute. After a minute, stir to melt chocolate and until ganache is glossy. Add Sea Salt and Maple Syrup, stir well, and leave to cool.
- Prepare your Non-Dairy whipped cream according to instructions, adding Vanilla Extract and sweetening with Sugar if necessary. Set aside.
- If you are using Coconut Cream instead, whip up with Maple Syrup and Vanilla with an electric mixer till soft peaks form.
- To assemble, have dessert glasses ready. Cut a piece of your Chocolate Cake and place it at the bottom of your dessert vessel. Pour some of your Kirsch Soaking Syrup to moisten, and then add a layer of Cherry Filling followed by Whipped Cream. Repeat this process once more. Top trifles off with Shaved Dark Chocolate and a fresh Cherry.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
I definitely prefer animals to most human beings, cos I mean, who wouldn't right? See all recipes by Amrita