Vegan Baked Mac & Cheese
We've been experimenting for some time to perfect our baked mac & cheese and you guys this is a hit!This is the BEST vegan baked mac & cheese. PERIOD! We promise you won't be disappointed. A lot of people don't like Daiya cheeses, BUT this new formula in the Cutting Board Edition is GREAT. However, there are so many other vegan cheeeses that are great also, such as Vio- Life or Good Planet Foods. They both work great with this recipe also, so the choice ultimately up to you!
- Cavatappi pasta or your favorite pasta (Half box)
- 5 Tbsp vegan butter
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk ( in carton- ie. so delicious)
- 7 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- 7 oz vegan pepper jack cheese
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt or salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 175C / 350F
- Boil pasta noodles according to the package directions.
- On medium heat in a large non-stick pot, add the vegan butter, and stir in the flour. Stir continuously until it starts to turn brown; creating a roux.
- Next, add in 1 cup coconut milk; reserving the rest for later use. Stir to combine.
- Add in half of the cheese. Stir to combine. Once melted add in the spice blend.
- Next, add the vegan cream cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk and stir to combine. The cheese sauce should be nice and creamy.
- Add cooked pasta noodles, along with the rest of the cheese shreds (reserving a large handful of cheese shreds for topping). Stir to combine until each noodle is coated with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese into a baking dish, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, uncovered.
It was fun and exciting learning how to remake all of our favorite dishes before becoming vegan. Our specialty is recreating comfort foods and Caribbean classics.
See all recipes by Carlos