Vegan Aloo Tikki
Here’s Amrita’s recipe for Aloo Tikki - delicious, lightly spiced vegan & gluten-free potato patties - or as Amrita likes to call them, Naked Samosas. 😀
- 3 small – medium potatoes, peeled and boiled till soft
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped into a fine dice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 a green chilli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (or for non GF use all-purpose flour or corn starch)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Coriander Chutney or Tomato Sauce
- In a large bowl, mash your peeled and cooked potatoes. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat up 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Add onion to pan and sauté on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add ground coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder, chopped green chilli, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add coconut sugar to the pan along with salt and pepper, and then remove from heat.
- Add spiced onion mixture to your pre-mashed potatoes. Stir well with a wooden spoon and then add green peas, fresh cilantro and rice flour to the mixture.
- Stir again and taste for seasoning. Adjust accordingly.
- In a clean pan, heat up some vegetable oil (you want about 1/2 an inch of oil on the bottom of the pan).
- Divide your potato mixture into patty shapes and fry patties for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown. Be gentle with the patties and leave them to do their thing – no messing about!
- Once fried, drain on paper towels and serve warm with coriander chutney and tomato sauce.
I definitely prefer animals to most human beings, cos I mean, who wouldn't right? See all recipes by Amrita