The Easiest Vegan Sushi
Making sushi that can seem super difficult at first so this is just a very non-intimidating recipe that anyone can do! Feel free to customize this recipe however you want.
- 1 cup of jasmine rice
- 2 cups of water
- Nori sheets
- 1/2 block of tofu
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 2 avocados
- Pickled ginger
- Coconut aminos or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of olive oil (optional)
- Cook the rice by bringing the rice and water to a boil, then let it simmer for 20 minutes. Don’t forget to rinse your rice! I’ve tried making sushi with sushi rice before and you can totally do that, but if you don’t have it, no worries.
- You can just use normal rice like I did here.
- When the rice is done, you can choose to follow a recipe for sushi rice online using rice vinegar and sugar.
- However, I didn’t for this recipe and it still tasted delicious. This is the most basic sushi recipe.
- While the rice is cooking, prep your vegetables. Thinly slice the carrots, cucumber, and avocado. You can substitute these for any other vegetables that you want.
- To prepare the tofu, slice it and fry it in a pan with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Once the vegetables, rice, and tofu are ready, it’s time to assemble.
- You don’t need a fancy sushi mat or anything to do this, all you need is a flat surface. First spread the rice onto the nori sheet evenly. Then put your fillings on one side. Roll the nori tightly with your hands, tucking everything in as you go. Wetting your fingers towards the end helps the nori stick together.
- Then cut with a really sharp or serrated knife, and put it on a plate.
- Repeat the process until you’ve used up all your rice and fillings.
- Serve with pickled ginger if you want, soy sauce or coconut aminos (which is a low-sodium alternative to soy sauce).
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Ethical vegan living in Canada with my two rescue dogs and vegan boyfriend, creating vegan recipes that are affordable and easy to make! See all recipes by Vegan