Tempeh Nori Rolls
Try tempeh for a meaty texture in this Japanese classic.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins
- 1/3 cup sushi rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch iodised salt (optional)
- 50g tofu/tempeh, cut into long strips
- 1 sheet nori
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into strips
- 1/4 red capsicum (bell pepper), cut into strips
- 1/4 an avocado, cut into strips
- Japanese dark soy sauce (or Tamari sauce for GF option)
- Wasabi paste (check ingredients for GF option)
- Bamboo sushi mat
For the rice
- Wash the rice in cold water, using the palm of your hand to push the rice against the side of the bowl to ‘polish’ it.
- Drain and cook in a saucepan (or microwave) with a cup of water.
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- When rice is cooked, transfer to a non-metal bowl, stir through the vinegar mix and cool rice by fanning and folding with a wooden spoon. Rice will become sticky and start holding together.
For the tofu or tempeh
- Pan-fry the strips in vegetable oil until golden brown, then marinate in soy sauce for 15 minutes.
To make the sushi
- Lay a sheet of nori on a sushi mat and spread an even 1cm layer of rice across all but the far edge of the sheet.
- Place horizontal strips of vegetable and tofu in a line in the middle of the rice.
- Roll sushi and seal with a dab of water across the seam. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before cutting with a sharp damp chef’s knife.
- Chop and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!