Tempeh Curry with Broccoli
A nourishing bowl of comfort, this tempeh curry is highly satisfying.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 150g/5.3oz tempeh (a heaped cup, cubed)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (low sodium)
- 50g/1.8oz dry red lentils (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g/1.8oz chopped brown onion, (1/2 med onion)
- 150g/5.3oz chopped tomato (1 medium-large size)
- 100g/3.5oz broccoli
- 160ml/5.4oz (2/3 cup) water
- 100ml/3.4oz (1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp) light coconut milk
- To serve: finely chopped herbs of choice
- Optional: squeeze of lemon juice, seasonings of choice
- Cut the tempeh into cubes or strips and place in a shallow bowl. Mix 1/4 of the stock cube with about a 1 tablespoon of hot water and pour over the tempeh to marinate for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the lentils in cold water. Chop onion, tomato and broccoli.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat then sauté the tempeh for about 5-7 minutes. Transfer the tempeh to a plate.
- In a saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of water mixed with 1/4 of the stock cube on medium-high heat, add the onion, cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and any other seasonings to taste (e.g. iodised salt/pepper). Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the water plus the remaining half of the stock cube. Mix together well. Add the lentils, bay leaf and chopped tomato stir well, reduce to low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes (add more water if needed), until lentils are soft.
- Stir in the coconut milk and broccoli, continue simmering for about 5 minutes until the curry looks creamy.
- Remove from heat, take out the bay leaf and stir through the tempeh and chopped herbs. Serve in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice (optional).
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!