Spaghetti with Meatless-Meatballs!
Garnished with basil this is a hearty dish fit for any occasion! Maddie's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1vyGesd
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1 packet spaghetti
- 250g / 8.8oz cherry tomatoes
- Basil leaves to garnish
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 600ml (2/12 cups) Passata (tomato puree)
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 400g / 14oz firm tofu
- 1 large handful parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup plain flour
For the Sauce
- Place the onion and garlic into a saucepan with a little heated olive oil and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the capsicum and basil and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the passata and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 7-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a little.
For the Meatless Meatballs
- Cube the tofu and spread it over some paper towel so that any excess moisture can drain. I like to place some paper towel on top as well and sit a heavy plate on top of the paper towel.
- Saute the onion and garlic until soft, then add the mushrooms and sauté until they are soft. Place the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the tofu crumbling it as you place it in the processor. Process until combined then add the parsley, breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper and process again until you have flecks of parsley throughout your mixture.
- Roll the mixture into balls of your desired size, about a golf ball size works well, and then roll them in the flour until they are nicely coated.
- Heat enough olive oil in a non-stick pan to cover the base then add the balls when the oil is nice and hot. In a good non-stick pan you should just be able to roll the balls around the pan until they are golden brown on all sides. If not gently turn the balls with tongs.
- Once the balls are all cooked and removed from the pan toss in the cherry tomatoes and cook until they start to blister.
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions and toss it with the sauce. Arrange your pasta on a large serving dish then arrange your no-meatballs and cherry tomatoes around the plate. Garnish with basil and you have yourself a hearty dish fit for any occasion.
I think that this is going to be my Christmas day centrepiece.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!