Easy, nutritious and incredibly tasty homemade seitan steak, packed full of protein by vegan powerlifter Noah Hannibal.
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 50 mins
- 300g / 10.5oz Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Seasoning (15 grams)
- 45g / 1.5oz Nutritional Yeast (nooch)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Cup (230-250ml) Water
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 10ml (2 tsp) Vegan Liquid smoke (optional)
- 60ml (1/4 Cup) Braggs Liquid Aminos (Can use Soy Sauce, Tamari etc as alternative)
- Mix the vital wheat gluten, garlic, onion, seasoning and nooch in a bowl. You can also experiment with whatever seasonings you like (turmeric, cumin, and smoked paprika are some that go well).
- Add the ACV, soy sauce and smoke to the water and stir well
- Slowly pour the combined liquids into the bowl and stir, the VWG will start to form into a dough, once that happens tip it onto the countertop and knead for less than a minute. A longer time is not required, the more you knead the chewier and more rubbery it will be.
- Roll the dough into a log and wrap it tightly in foil. If you have an instant pot put it in with a half cup of water and cook for 40 minutes on high pressure with the valve closed, at the completion let it sit for 10 minutes before doing a quick release. If you don’t have an instant pot you can steam your seitan steak, if you’re doing this you need to increase the steam time to roughly an hour and 15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!