Saucy Cherry & Miso Tofu Sandwiches
Golden brown baked tofu coated with miso paste, smothered in delicious cherry sauce to add a gorgeous sweet yet tart flavour!
- 150g / 5.3oz fresh cherries, stem removed, cut in half and deseeded
- Juice from 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp arrowroot/ tapioca starch
- 250g / 8.8oz firm tofu
- 1.5 Tbsp shiro miso paste
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried garlic flakes
- Generous pinch of salt
- Bread (slices, rolls, baguette or wraps – gluten-free if required)
- Lettuce leaves
- Vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Drain tofu and wrap in an absorbent paper towel. Place a plate on the top to press while preparing the sauce.
- In a small saucepan, mix the water and arrowroot/ tapioca starch, and stir well. Add the cherries, lemon juice, and coconut sugar and stir well to combine.
- Heat the sauce over medium-low heat, occasionally stirring until it’s just beginning to simmer. Continue to simmer for around 5 minutes, or until the cherries have become very soft and the sauce is a vibrant burgundy colour. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- Using a mandoline slicer, slice the tofu into thin slices. Arrange in a single layer on the baking tray.
- In a small bowl mix together the miso paste, olive oil, garlic flakes, and salt.
- Coat each side of the tofu with a light layer of the paste using a pastry brush; the tofu is prone to tearing as it’s quite thin, so try to avoid using long strokes with the pastry brush and apply a dabbing or small swirling motion instead.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway until the tofu has become mostly dry and golden brown.
- Using the bread of your choice, optionally smear it with vegan mayonnaise, add lettuce leaves, a generous amount of tofu slices stacked on top of each other, and smother with cherry sauce.
You can make the tofu slices and cherry sauce ahead of time, and store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
I'm Silvo, and this is my beat: a creative collection of plant-based, whole food recipes that are drool-worthy, healthy, and simple to make. See all recipes by Silvobeat