Onion Roast Gravy
“This recipe is so quick and easy you will never want to buy the pre-bought stuff again! What’s a vegan roast without gravy? You can substitute regular flour with gluten free flour.” ~ Nadia
Serves 4 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 5 mins
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp ‘beef’ style stock powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 1/2 cups water
- cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Fry the onion until soft and golden.
- Add the flour and stir. Cook off the flour, continuing to stir for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and the stock powder. Whisk until the gravy thickens. Stir through the remaining water and tamari.
- Stir until thick and glossy. Take off the heat. Add cracked black pepper to taste.
- If you like a thinner gravy, add more water during the cooking process.
- Serve immediately with your favourite vegan roast and veggies.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Nadia is a cookbook author, recipe creator, presenter and vegan Italian expert. She has been creating vegan recipes since 2001 and loves to share her passion for recreating Italian classics through her blog The Vegan Italian Kitchen and her cookbooks Discovering Vegan Italian and A Vegan Summer in Southern Italy. See all recipes by Nadia