Mushroom 'Seafood' Cocktail
"A combination of King Oyster Mushrooms and dried sea vegetables make this a surprisingly fishy dish. Cue the 80s with this retro, revamped, seafood cocktail." ~ Nadia
SERVES 4 | 30 minutes
- 4 King Oyster Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup vegan fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried wakame flakes (or any dried sea vegetable such as nori or kelp flakes)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
Seafood cocktail sauce
- 3/4 cup full fat soy milk
- 1 cup of light flavoured oil, like sunflower oil or rice bran
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- few drops tabasco sauce (optional)
- To serve: chopped fresh parsley, lettuce and lemon wedges
Prepare the calamari
- Slice the mushrooms into rounds. Take a small apple corer, cannoli tube or a round object to cut ‘holes’ in these mushroom rounds. You want to create ring shapes.
- Prepare the marinade. Into a bowl, mix the wakame flakes, garlic, lemon, fish sauce and water. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade and coat thoroughly. Set aside to marinate at least 10 minutes.
- Pour the milk into a blender. Add the salt and black pepper.
- With the blender running on a low speed, slowly pour in the oil.
- Add the lemon juice. This will emulsify and thicken into a creamy consistency. Finally, blend through the tomato sauce and tabasco if using.
- Drain the mushroom calamari from the marinade.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce and garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges. Drizzle over seafood cocktail sauce.
Vegan Calamari Cocktail
Vegan Seafood Cocktail Sauce
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Nadia is a cookbook author, recipe creator, presenter and vegan Italian expert. She has been creating vegan recipes since 2001 and loves to share her passion for recreating Italian classics through her blog The Vegan Italian Kitchen and her recent cookbook Discovering Vegan Italian. See all recipes by Nadia