Moroccan Loubia – White Bean Stew
Loubia is a white bean stew traditionally made in Morocco and other north African countries. The hearty, flavourful dish is originally vegan, uses simple ingredients and is easy to make in one pot.
Serves 2 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 veg stock cube
- 1 can (425g/15oz) white beans (e.g. cannellini), rinsed & drained
- salt & pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a pot or pan then add onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the spices (cumin, paprika, turmeric) and mix, then break up the stock cube and stir it in until it dissolves.
- Next add the white beans. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The stew will thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top with fresh parsley and optionally serve with pita bread.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!