Indian Mulligatawny Soup
This soup will warm you up from the inside! Add a little more chili for extra heat. It's hearty and filling and so delicious, the kind of soup you could put in a slow cooker and let it bubble away all day. The addition of apples to the soup adds a lovely sweetness and cashews give it a creamy mouthfeel.
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 2 small sweet apples, cored and diced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup yellow split peas (uncooked)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 cups of roughly chopped kale
- Roasted nuts and chopped coriander for garnish
- Chop onions and dry fry in a large saucepan until they start to caramelise, add a little dash of hot water to stop them sticking.
- Add carrot, celery, garlic and ginger and fry a little further to soften. Throw in all the spices and allow to coat the vegetables, do not let them burn!
- Release spices from the pan using vegetable broth, then add tomatoes, apple and split peas. Allow to cook for 1.5 hours on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once peas have softened, blend 1/2 of the soup with cashews and miso and add back to the pot. Add chopped kale (because kale yeah) and allow to cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- Top with roasted peanuts or cashews and coriander. So good!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
After my own experience with the benefits of a changed diet, I have become a plant-based nutrition advocate. I’ve used a low fat, whole food plant-based diet to recover from autoimmune conditions and I’m passionate about helping others access the benefits of plant-based eating through sustainable lifestyle change. See all recipes by Rebecca