Fluffy Steamed Blueberry Yeast Bread
Lenny of Vegamelon has created a fun steamed bread, which is a “take on mantou, a traditional Chinese steamed bread that’s typically shaped as buns.”
- 140g all-purpose flour
- 80g plant-based milk | lukewarm
- 10g sugar | use up to 20g for sweetness
- 1g instant or quick-rise yeast
- 60g blueberries | fresh or frozen
- Combine all the dough ingredients and knead until smooth and elastic; about 15 minutes by hand.
- Place the dough into a bowl, then cover and let rise for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in volume.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down.
- For a loaf shape, flatten the dough into a large rectangle. Sprinkle over 1/2 cup blueberries, then roll the dough up into a tight log. Place into a baking pan of your choice; I used a 6.375 x 3.75 inch junior loaf pan.
- Let the dough rise, covered, for 30-45 minutes. Once risen 1.5x in volume, place onto a steamer basket into a pot filled with cold water.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat to high; once water is at a full boil, turn the heat down to medium-low. From this point, continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait 3 minutes before removing the lid of the pot, careful not to let any water drop onto the loaf. Let the loaf cool slightly before serving.
I used a 6.375 x 3.75 inch loaf pan to make a small loaf. This recipe should also work in an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan, if you double all the ingredients.
My name is Lenny, known as @vegamelon on Instagram! I became vegan almost four years ago, at the end of my freshman year of high school. See all recipes by Lenny