Crème Caramel Flan
A light, silky, and creamy custard, gently set with a hint of vanilla, infused in a rich caramel sauce.
This no-fuss recipe requires no steaming or baking or even the hassle of thermometers. It is easy and painless but still sets beautifully to create a luscious dessert. To watch the video recipe, click here.
- 100g white sugar // 1/2 cup
- 45g water // 3 tbs
- 5g vinegar (or lemon juice) // 1 tsp
- 600g creamy plant milk (use your favourite) // 2 1/2 cups
- 60g sugar // 1/4 cup + 1 1/4 tsp
- 15g cornstarch // 2 tbs
- 3g agar // 1 tsp
- 15g vanilla // 1 tbs
- 4x Ramekins or heat-proof serving bowls
- 1x Small pot and 1x Medium sized pot
- Add the caramel ingredients into a small pot and heat on low-medium flame trying to disturb it as little as you can.
- Keep cooking until it is evenly golden amber in colour, which can take around 8-10 minutes.
- Immediately take it off the burner and divide into the ramekins, taking caution as the syrup is extremely hot and can cause severe burns. Set aside.
- Add the custard ingredients except for the vanilla into a medium sized pot and stir well.
- Turn on a medium flame and cook, whisking to prevent clumping and burned bottoms.
- Bring to a boil, turn off the flame, add the vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into the ramekins and cool down and refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight for best results).
- To unmould, place a plate securely over the top of the ramekin, quickly flip them both over.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes: Any hardened caramel can be easily cleaned by soaking with warm water and left overnight.
I never really liked to cook before. To me, cooking was a laborious chore in exchange for the pointlessly short enjoyment of eating.
That is until I became a vegan! Only then did I care to create the foods I craved, as I was motivated to do what's right by the animals, and was equally equipped with a newfound enthusiasm to play around with culinary possibilities. See all recipes by Cheer