This faux turkey roast is perfect for guilt-free gluttony all year round.
- 5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh vegetable broth powder
- 2 Tbsp seasoning (Massel Chicken Style Stock)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 red wine
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Approximately 2 cups prepared vegan stuffing
Hazelnut & Apricot Stuffing:
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 50g / 1.7oz vegan margarine (Nuttelex)
- 40g / 1.4oz hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g / 3.5oz dried apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegan breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 20g / 0.7oz fresh parsley, chopped
- Finely grated lemon zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup water to combine
- Working in batches as needed, process the tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl and stir in the fresh chopped sage, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth powder and poultry seasoning, stirring well to combine.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or a thin towel. Place the tofu in the colander, and place a cheesecloth or a thin towel on top. Place a weight on top of the towel to gently press the tofu. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Once the tofu is chilled and firm, scoop out the tofu in the middle, creating a hole or a well, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of a tofu “shell” in the colander.
- Gently pat your stuffing (see method below) into the ‘well’, then gently press the extra tofu on top.
- Carefully invert your tofu turkey onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar red wine, Dijon mustard and soy sauce, and baste or brush the tofu generously.
- Bake for about 90 minutes at 180°C / 355°F, basting again every 15 minutes.
- Fry onions, celery and garlic in the margarine.
- Stir in hazelnuts and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, add apricots, breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, parsley and lemon zest, then combine.
- Add water and season to taste.