- 1½ tbsp ground Flaxseed, mixed with 4 tbsp Water and set aside for 15 minutes until gloopy
- 1/4 cup melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed with your hands until smooth and lump-free
- 1 1/4 cups Coconut or Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 can Coconut Milk, chilled (hardened cream separated from the liquid)
4 tablespoons Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease two 6 inch tins and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flaxseed, coconut oil and maple syrup/coconut nectar until combined.
- Add the banana and almond milk and whisk again for several minutes until everything is fully combined.
- Add the coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, cacao, almond flour, rice flour and vanilla (if using) and stir until mixture is combined and lump-free.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two cake tins. Bake for approximately 45-60 minutes (until a knife comes out of the centre of each cake clean).
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
To Make Frosting:
- Chill a large bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. Using an electric whisk, whip the hardened coconut milk in the bowl until the cream is totally lump-free and fluffy.
- Add your maple syrup and Cocoa Powder. Whip the mixture for another minute or so until you have mixed it well.
- Spoon half of the frosting in a thick even layer on top of the first cake with a flat knife, sandwiching the second cake on top of it.
- Spread the rest of the chocolate frosting over the top of the second cake, forming small peaks and a rough texture.
- Sprinkle cake with toppings and enjoy!