Chili “Non” Carne
This Chili "NON" Carne will warm the heart and the belly.
- 2 onions
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 yellow or orange peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 x 460g jars roasted red peppers
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can refried beans
- 3 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Put the onions, celery and chopped peppers with the oil in your largest flameproof casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan, and fry gently over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
- Drain both jars of peppers over a bowl to catch the juices. Put a quarter of the peppers into a food processor with the chipotle paste, vinegar, cocoa, dried spices and herbs.
- Whizz to a purée, then stir into the softened veg and cook for a few mins.
- Add the tomatoes and refried beans with 1 can water and the reserved pepper juice. Simmer for 1 hour until thickened, smoky and the tomato chunks have broken down to a smoother sauce.
- At this stage you can cool and chill the sauce if making ahead. Otherwise add the kidney and black beans, and the remaining roasted peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces, then reheat. (This makes a large batch, so once the sauce is ready it might be easier to split it between two pans when you add the beans and peppers.)
- Once bubbling and the beans are hot, season to taste and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
LunchDinnerMexicanGluten FreeLow Fat
Aimee Hastie has travelled from London and throughout Asia to explore different healing modalities. See all recipes by Aimee