10-Ingredient Oil-Free Vegan Banana Bread
My simple 10-ingredient oil-free vegan banana bread is perfectly moist and golden brown on top. The almond extract is a definite must if you have it around- it's pretty much my secret ingredient in everything I bake.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, as black as possible
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup vegan yogurt (I used a homemade coconut cashew yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract if preferred)
- 2 cups organic all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, or other desired spices
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. line or grease a tall loaf pan (this makes a lot of batter and a pretty large loaf, so if you have a shorter loaf pan, you might have a little extra batter to bake into a few muffins.) whisk together your flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas until no lumps remain. add the sugar, yogurt and almond extract and mix until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon along with the any other spices if using.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- You should have a wet and pourable but thick batter. add a bit more flour if it’s too wet or a splash of milk if it’s too dry. pour the batter into the prepared pan. if desired, sprinkle a handful of extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out mostly clean and the top is golden brown all over. the bread will cook a little more outside of the oven, so don’t overcook it.
- Let the bread cool before slicing. it will keep covered with a tea towel for 3 days or longer.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
BreakfastDessertSnacksGluten FreeLow Fat
Hi there! I'm Jillian and I have a passion for plants. See all recipes by Jillian