Vegan Tofu Spanakopita
Spanakopita or spinach pie. Ideal for lunch, dinner or anytime! Recipe by Emily.
- 8 sheets of filo pastry
- vegan butter
For the Spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 500g fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill and mint mixed
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
For the Tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 350g silken tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic and leek. Add the fresh spinach, dill and mint and stir until it begins to wilt. Add more oil if it looks like it’s going to stick.
- Stir in the grated nutmeg and then place the spinach mixture in a sieve over a pan and leave to drain to remove moisture while you prep your tofu.
- Place the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, milk and salt and pepper into a bowl and mash until it looks mixed together.
- Heat the oil in a pan and then gently cook your tofu mixture for 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach mix and stir well until combined.
- Melt the butter in a microwave or saucepan and layer one sheet of filo pastry into a greased square dish. Using a pastry brush, brush the layer with the melted butter and repeat three more times.
- Evenly place your mixture on top of your filo pastry and then repeat the last step with 4 more sheets of pastry.
- Place your spanakopita in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Hi, I'm Emily, a UK Vegan food blogger now living in Perth, Western Australia. I am a lover of all things healthy, vegan and cruelty free and have been vegan for almost 4 years. See all recipes by Emily