Vegan Lentil Soup Made with Kale and Lemon
A creamy, lemony lentil soup made with kale and topped with vegan sour cream and a squeeze of lemon.
- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cubes Not Chickn’ Broth (or other chicken flavored broth) or use veggie broth
- 4 cups kale
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- Start by boiling a large pot of water (about 8 cups of water) then add the lentils and cook in a for 16 minutes. Then drain and rinse them.
- While the lentils are cooking, sauté the onion and minced garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the diced carrots, water, and vegan Not Chickn’ Broth cubes and let it simmer until carrots are soft. (Or veggie broth instead of water and broth cubes and salt).
- Add the cooked, drained, and rinsed lentils to the soup and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, get the kale ready to add to the soup. To do this, pour 1 tbsp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt over clean kale. Using your hands, rub it and break it into small pieces until it turns dark and shiny.
- Add the massaged kale to the pot of soup and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of vegan sour cream and lemon wedges.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
With over 20 years of being vegan and raising 2 vegan boys since birth, I've learned how to feed a hungry vegan family! See all recipes by Monica