Vegan Haluski – Cabbage and Noodles
Cabbage and noodles with added carrots and tofu cooked with vegan butter and sprinkled with pepper.
- 2 tbsp canola oil or vegan butter or light oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1 block firm tofu optional
- 16 oz noodles (pasta, egg-less egg noodles, or bean thread noodles)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- Boil the noodles according to package directions, drain and rinse.
- Slice onion in long thin slices.
- Put oil in the bottom of a large pot and add the onion, sprinkle with a little salt, and cook on low for about 8 minutes until the onion starts to look translucent.
- Cut the cabbage into long skinny pieces about 1/8 of an inch wide, while the onions are cooking.
- Shred the carrots into small pieces with a grater or food processor.
- Add the cabbage and carrots, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and turn up the heat to medium.
- Add tofu if desired. Drain, press and crumble a pound of tofu into the pot.
- Add the garlic powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper and let it all cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until cabbage wilts down and loses its bright color.
- Rinse the noodles again to make them wet and avoid sticking to each other.
- Add the noodles and butter to the pot and mix well and cook for another minute or 2 until all the butter has melted and is coating the noodles and veggies.
- Turn off the heat and add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
With over 20 years of being vegan and raising 2 vegan boys since birth, I've learned how to feed a hungry vegan family! See all recipes by Monica