Vegan Haluski – Cabbage and Noodles
Haluski are thick, soft noodles traditionally found in many Central and Eastern European cuisines. This vegan haluski dish is made with cabbage and noodles with added carrots and tofu cooked with vegan butter and sprinkled with pepper.
Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 2 Tbsp canola oil or vegan butter or light oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1 block firm tofu (1lb/450g) (optional)
- 16oz/450g noodles (pasta, egg-less noodles, or bean thread noodles)
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- Boil the noodles according to package directions, drain and rinse.
- Slice onion in long thin slices.
- Put oil in the bottom of a large pot and add the onion, sprinkle with a little salt, and cook on low heat for about 8 minutes until the onion starts to look translucent.
- Cut the cabbage into long skinny pieces about 1/8 of an inch wide, while the onions are cooking.
- Shred the carrots into small pieces with a grater or food processor.
- Add the cabbage and carrots, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and turn up the heat to medium.
- Add tofu if desired — drain, press and crumble the tofu block into the pot.
- Add the garlic powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper and let it all cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until cabbage wilts down and loses its bright color.
- Rinse the noodles again to make them wet and avoid sticking to each other.
- Add the noodles and butter to the pot and mix well and cook for another minute or two until all the butter has melted and is coating the noodles and veggies.
- Turn off the heat and add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
With over 20 years of being vegan and raising 2 vegan boys since birth, I've learned how to feed a hungry vegan family! See all recipes by Monica