Vegan Barberry Lemon & Yoghurt Cake
This soft, moist lemony cake has an exquisite combination of flavours with the added tartness of barberries -- a small red, highly nutritious berry that is an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
Serves 10 | Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 55 mins
- 2 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup raw caster sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup dried barberries
- Preheat oven to 180C/356F. Grease/line a 20cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and bicarb soda. Then add the caster sugar, salt and mix all dry ingredients with a whisk.
- In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients (soy milk, coconut yoghurt, oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract), then add the lemon zest and barberries. Mix well.
- Slowly add wet mix to the dry, being careful to not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick from the center comes out clean. Cover the cake with some foil after about 35 minutes in the oven so that it doesn’t brown too much.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the cake tin. Then cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!