Vegan Banana Scones
Easy vegan banana scones with a golden crust. Enjoy with a berry jam, vegan cream and a nice hot beverage of your choice.
Serves 12 | Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup raw caster sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter/margarine, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins
- soy milk for brushing
- some raw sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas well then add the soy milk, vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix well and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, cinnamon, nutmeg in a large bowl then mix in the salt and sugar. Combine well.
- Add the cold, vegan butter/margarine and using your fingertips rub into the dry mix. The mixture should resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sultanas (or raisins). Combine well.
- Stir in about a quarter of the wet mix to the dry to moisten the flour then gradually add the rest in three goes to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into two and pat each into a rough ball.
- On a well-floured surface, use your hands to gently flatten each ball into a disc (one at a time) to about a 3cm/1in height.
- Use a floured knife to slice each disc into 6 wedges, so that you have 12 wedges when done.
- Position them apart on a baking sheet lined with baking paper then place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. This will allow the butter/margarine to harden up a little to give the scones a fluffier texture.
- About 10 minutes before removing the scones from the fridge, preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Brush the tops of the scones with soy milk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until well risen and golden. Then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!