Vanilla Custard Slice
Besides them being ohhhhhh-so exquisite, these slices just so happen to be vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free and only 8 ingredients. Recipe by @elleshungry
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw activated buckinis
- 10 medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 1/2 TBSP cornflour
- 1 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Lime wedges
- Line a 20cm square pan with baking paper.
- Add almonds to high speed food processor to break them up. Add buckwheat & pulse to break them down and combine with the almond. Add dates and blend until mixture sticks together, scraping down the sides when needed.
- Press mixture evenly into the pan and set aside while making the vanilla custard.
- Off the heat, pour almond milk into a large pot. Add cornflour and whisk well to combine and remove any lumps. Whisk in rest of the ingredients.
- Place over heat, make sure to stir regularly. The custard will start to form first on the bottom, when you notice this happening, give it a whisk to make sure the custard stays smooth (continue to whisk now and then). When it starts to thicken, turn down the heat to low. Still stirring regularly, keep cooking until it’s a THICK custard consistency.
- Pour onto base & tap the bottom of the pan on bench to remove bubbles inside of the custard. Top with the coconut.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set. Cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge! ENJOY!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!