Umami Basmati Rice with Shiitake Mushrooms
Easy rice cooker recipe. Flavourful, umami filled rice made with rehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Serve as an accompaniment to a main dish or enjoy as is.
Serves 6 | Prep time: 10 mins + soaking time | Cooking time: 30 mins
- 30g/1oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup of water to soak
- 1 Tbsp tamari (for GF) or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegan fish sauce (e.g Niulife Cocomino Fysh Sauce, AuLac Vegan Fish Sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 spring onion stalks, chopped
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse the dried mushrooms then soak in a bowl with 1 cup of room temperature water for about 30 minutes if the mushrooms are already sliced, or for 1 hour if the mushrooms are whole.
- After soaking, if your mushrooms are whole, remove them from the water, slice them, then add them back to the bowl. Add the tamari/soy sauce and vegan fish sauce to the mushrooms and stir.
- Rinse the basmati rice with water, drain, then place in a rice cooker along with the mushrooms, broth and extra water to make up 1.5 cups of liquid.
- Cook the rice as per normal in your rice cooker.
- Once ready, use a rice paddle to fluff up the rice. Add the spring onions and parsley and lightly incorporate into the rice and mushrooms mix.
- Serve as is or on the side in rice bowls as an accompaniment to dishes like miso soup, teriyaki tofu, or another dish of your choosing.
Note: Makes 6 side bowls of rice, or 3 to 4 serves as a main mixed rice dish.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!