Tofu Pumpkin and Stuffing Roulade
This is a sure-fire favourite for Christmas dinner. The different layers all combine together to make a deliciously tasty dish. Even though there are 3 layers to prepare, don't be daunted it's relatively simple - and certainly easier and quicker than traditional options! Recipe by Jo Osborne
- 1kg / 2.2lb firm tofu, drained
- 2 ‘chicken style’ stock cubes
- 2 Tbsp miso
- 1/2 cup water, boiled
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1kg / 2.2lb pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 large leeks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1/2 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Dissolve the stock cubes and miso in water. Crumble the tofu into a blender or food processor. Add about two-thirds of the stock mixture, herbs and pepper and blend until smooth. The mixture should be moist enough to stick together, but not too wet. If it is a little dry add a small amount of extra water. (Note: You can do this step by crumbling the tofu and mixing in the other ingredients by hand. If you do it this way you will end up with a more crumbly tofu – we actually made ours as pictured this way)
- Line a Swiss roll tin with tin foil, leaving extra foil around the edges to help roll. Press the tofu mixture into the tin. Cover with more foil and set aside to allow the flavours to marinate for an hour or two.
- In the meantime place the pumpkin and onion in an oven-proof dish. Drizzle with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper and roast in a medium-hot oven until soft. Mash with a fork.
- To make the stuffing, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the leek and garlic and fry until soft and starting to brown. Season well with salt and pepper then add the breadcrumbs, tamari and herbs and cook on a low heat for a further minute or two. Turn off the heat and stir in the walnuts.
- To assemble the roulade, firstly spread the cooled pumpkin mixture, leaving about a 1cm gap around the edges. Then place the stuffing mixture evenly down the centre of the tofu (as if you are making a big sausage roll).
- Now, using the foil to help you, gently fold one of the long edges over the stuffing until you have a big roll. Twist the ends of the foil fairly tightly without tearing. Press the roll gently in your hands.
- Place on a tray and bake at about 180°C / 355°F for 30 minutes. At this point remove the foil and brush over the remaining stock/miso mixture. Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes (or until just browned).
… and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!