Loaded with nutty, plant-based protein, this hearty casserole is sure to become a favourite.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 50 mins
- 3 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 of an onion, diced
- 1/2 large carrot, diced
- 1/2 celery stick, diced
- 2-3 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of iodised salt (optional)
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 125g / 4.4oz seasoned tempeh, cubed
- Chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F.
- Heat oil in a large casserole pan. When hot add onions, carrot, celery, mushrooms and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in paprika, salt and pepper ensuring everything is well coated. Stir in stock powder, water, soy sauce, tomato paste, thyme, vinegar, add the potato and bring to a simmer.
- Make sure potato is cooked then remove from heat, stir in tempeh, cover and transfer to the oven for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving with fresh parsley.
Note: If seasoned tempeh isn’t available, pan-fry plain tempeh cubes in vegetable oil until golden on all sides. Season with salt, pepper and a splash of dark soy sauce in a bowl for 15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!