Sweet Potato Chips with Vegan Sour Cream
Try replacing your sour cream with this great homemade version made from almonds.
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 400g/14.10oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 Tbsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder (optional)
Almond sour cream:
- 200g/7oz of almonds
- 3-4 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of salt
- Preheat oven at 200°C. Prepare two baking sheets.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Wash and rinse them several times until the water is not cloudy.
- Soak them in the water for 5 minutes. Drain and pat them very dry with kitchen papers so that they can be coated well with oil.
- Cut off both pointy ends of the sweet potatoes. Cut each into slices, each slice into sticks. Set aside.
- Mix together all the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Put the sticks in a mixing bowl or a large plate, spoon the seasoning over the sticks. Toss them with your hands until they are well coated.
- Divide the sticks into 2 portions. Arrange them in a single layer, without overlapping, on the baking sheets. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- After that, remove from the oven, gently flip the fries, batch by batch, with a metal spoon so that they can be cooked on all sides. Return the sheets to the oven and swap their position.
- Bake for another 15 – 20 minutes, or until they are properly firmed up and crisp. You can shake and rotate the baking sheet half way through. Pay close attention towards the last 10 minutes as the edges and garlic powder, if used, may get burnt. Remove those fries that are already done and continue baking the rest.
- After baking, remove the baking sheets from the oven. Allow the fries to sit on the sheets for 5 minutes. Best to serve them immediately.
Almond sour cream:
- Soak 200g/7oz of almonds for 5 hours, rinse them and put them in the hot water for 60 sec.
- Drain them and rinse with cold water to cool them.
- Gently squeeze the almonds and loosen the skin from them.
- Put 100ml/1,5dcl of water in the blender, add the almonds, 3-4 Tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of salt, and blend everything until smooth.
- Serve cold.
Decoration: Chives & Edible flowers (lavender, pelargonium)