Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
This is a really naughty but nice dessert - great for special occasions! We love to serve it with some vegan vanilla ice cream!
- 1 1/2 cups dates, finely chopped (medjool dates are best)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup tightly packed soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tsp egg replacer
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 x 300ml / 10oz carton Soyatoo topping cream or equivalent
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350 F. Grease and line a 20cm loose bottom cake tin.
- Place dates and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together sugar, margarine and vanilla extract with an electric hand mixer or food processor.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg replacer and water. Whisk the ‘egg’ mixture into the margarine mixture. Sift in the flour and mix well.
- Add the date mixture. Combine well then pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes, until a skewer or knife comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan while you make the sauce.
- Place all of the sauce ingredients into a saucepan, place over a medium heat and bring slowly to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes.
- Pierce the pudding in several places with a skewer. Drizzle over about 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Remove from tin, cut into wedges and serve with extra sauce poured over.
Close to two years ago I stumbled upon a documentary called Earthlings. Little did I know that my life was about to change in an instant and my journey to veganisim was born. See all recipes by Monique