Not-your-traditional Shepherds Pie, but just as good. This animal free pie is a slice of warmth and comfort.
- 1.5kg potatoes
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 medium field mushrooms, cut into small chunks
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can Sanitarium casserole mince
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 ‘beef’ style stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vegan gravy powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 180C/356F – 200C/392F
- Peel potatoes, halve or quarter them depending on their size, then cook in boiling water until soft. Mash with margarine and a little salt, set aside until the sauce is prepared.
- While potatoes are cooking you can prepare the sauce. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook for a minute or two until soft and just starting to brown.
- Add zucchini, carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further minute or two until they are beginning to soften.
- Add the water, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, casserole mince, herbs and stock cube to the pan and stir well.
- In a small dish mix the gravy powder into a thin paste with a little water. Add this to the saucepan and stir through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low heat, until all vegetables are soft, approximately 30 minutes. Stir through frozen peas.
- Pour the sauce mixture into a large oven proof dish (approx 20 x 20cm).
- Spread the potatoes evenly over the top of the sauce and roughen the surface a little with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, until the top is browned slightly.
Close to two years ago I stumbled upon a documentary called Earthlings. Little did I know that my life was about to change in an instant and my journey to veganisim was born. See all recipes by Monique