Shepherds Pie ★★★★★6 reviews
Not-your-traditional Shepherds Pie, but just as good. This animal free pie is a slice of warmth and comfort.
- 1.5kg potatoes
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 medium field mushrooms, cut into small chunks
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can Sanitarium casserole mince
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 ‘beef’ style stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vegan gravy powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 180C/356F – 200C/392F
- Peel potatoes, halve or quarter them depending on their size, then cook in boiling water until soft. Mash with margarine and a little salt, set aside until the sauce is prepared.
- While potatoes are cooking you can prepare the sauce. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook for a minute or two until soft and just starting to brown.
- Add zucchini, carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further minute or two until they are beginning to soften.
- Add the water, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, casserole mince, herbs and stock cube to the pan and stir well.
- In a small dish mix the gravy powder into a thin paste with a little water. Add this to the saucepan and stir through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low heat, until all vegetables are soft, approximately 30 minutes. Stir through frozen peas.
- Pour the sauce mixture into a large oven proof dish (approx 20 x 20cm).
- Spread the potatoes evenly over the top of the sauce and roughen the surface a little with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, until the top is browned slightly.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Close to two years ago I stumbled upon a documentary called Earthlings. Little did I know that my life was about to change in an instant and my journey to veganisim was born. See all recipes by Monique
This recipe is delicious!
Tastes great, Really easy to make.
Amazing recipe! Best sherperd’s pie.
Lovely flavour. Made it with sweet potato instead. Very yummy.
Very nice xx