Savoury French Toast with Mushrooms and Spinach
You won’t even know this crispy egg-less French toast is vegan.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins
- 2 slices wholemeal bread (use gluten free bread for GF option)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
- 1/3 cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- Pinch of iodised salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup fortified plant milk
- Mix all the batter ingredients together to make a smooth paste and pour into a wide shallow bowl.
- Dip the bread into the batter to coat both sides, then fry in a nonstick pan, turning over when browned on the underside.
- Set the toast aside and fry the mushrooms and spinach for a few minutes until softened.
- Serve with the French toast.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
BreakfastSnacksHolidayKidsGluten FreeSugar Free
Just made these. Very good recipe for French toast!
We’re happy you like the French toast!
I’m not sure what the garlic is for? I omitted and it tastes delish and served with homemade tomato relish
Thanks Vanessa! We’ve updated the recipe to say ‘optional’ for the garlic.
The addition of homemade tomato relish sounds like a great idea!