Roasted Vegetable Sauce with Dino Pasta
My youngest child is now 10 months old so 'Family Dinners' that suit babies, toddlers, bigger kids and adults are my current theme. Expect a few more 'Family Dinners' coming through. Maddie's food journal: http://on.fb.me/1vyGesd
- 1/2 red capsicum, cut into chunks
- 200g / 7oz tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 garlic clove, left whole with skin on
- 1/2 red onion, cut in half
- 1 stick celery, cut into thirds
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 200ml / 6.8oz vegetable stock
- 400g / 14oz tin diced tomatoes
- 400g / 14oz pasta of your choice (can use gf pasta)
- Place the red capsicum, whole tomatoes, pumpkin garlic, red onion, celery, carrot and zucchini in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for approx 30mins in a moderate oven (180C / 355F).
- Once roasted place all the vegetables in a saucepan with the vegetable stock and tin of tomatoes. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Use a stick blender or place the sauce in a food processor and blend or process until smooth. For a really smooth result pass the sauce through a sieve to remove any vegetables skins, particularly the capsicum and tomatoes. The skins don’t bother me but some kids can be fussy and this eliminates any unpalatable textures.
- Cook the pasta as per instructions then combine with enough sauce to coat.
This sauce is perfect for kids as it’s packed full of invisible veggies. I often make a double batch and freeze portions. It’s great mixed with pasta, over quinoa and steamed veg, as a casserole base or heat up with beans for homemade baked beans. My baby loves the sauce as is when we’re out and about.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!