Pumpkin Dhal with Pea Rice
This classic Indian dish bursts with flavour and fragrance.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 7 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 tsp sunflower oil (optional)
- 1/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into small chucks
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 1 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder, dissolved in 2 cups water
- handful chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp olive oil/vegan margarine (optional)
- Iodised salt (optional) and pepper
- Heat half the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the onion until golden brown.
- Meanwhile heat the rest of the oil in a frying-pan and sauté the pumpkin pieces until they are golden all over.
- Add the tomatoes to the onion and cook for a further four minutes, then add the garlic and spices and cook for two minutes, stirring a little.
- Now add the lentils and pumpkin to the onions and pour on stock water. Bring to the boil and adjust seasonings.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes (until the lentils have collapsed and the pumpkin is tender, the mixture should be thick). While this is cooking you can prepare your rice.
- Place water in a pot and bring to the boil. Once boiled turn heat down to a simmer and add in the rice.
- Stir regularly and cook until liquids are nearly absorbed. Then fold the frozen peas, oil/margarine, salt and pepper, through the mixture on a low heat.
- Let cook for around 8 minutes or until peas are soft and edible.
- Serve Dhal with pea rice and fresh coriander/cilantro.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!