Mushroom & Asparagus Risotto
- 500g / 17.637oz Arborio Rice
- 500g / 17.637oz mushrooms, roughly chopped (use your favourite kind)
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 Tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 150ml / 5fl oz white wine or vermouth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into approx 2cm pieces
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegan margarine
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Mix together stock powder, dried herbs, onion powder with the water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then turn down so just simmering.
- In the meantime place the margarine and a dash of olive oil in a large heavy pan and place on a medium heat. Add onion and cook until the onion is translucent (approx 2-3 minutes)
- Stir in rice and cook for about a minute, do not let the rice brown.
- Next add the wine to the rice and stir. When the wine has been absorbed add a ladle of the warm stock.
- At this point add the mushrooms and stir through.
- From here on you need to keep on adding stock to the rice, add a ladle at a time and let the rice absorb it before adding the next. Keep stirring the rice regularly during this time.
- Once all the stock has been absorbed, it should still have quite a loose consistency, if it is a little thick add more stock. Stir through the chopped parsley and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
Close to two years ago I stumbled upon a documentary called Earthlings. Little did I know that my life was about to change in an instant and my journey to veganisim was born. See all recipes by Monique