This healthy version of a Bolognese sauce uses lentils which are rich in iron, protein and fibre, and makes a satisfying pasta bowl.
Serves 1 | Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 small celery stick, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Massel salt-reduced stock powder dissolved in 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2/3 cup spiral pasta (use gluten free pasta for GF option)
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 2cm length (about an inch)
- Fresh basil leaves
- 4 black olives, halved
- Heat a little oil in a pot over a medium heat, add the onion and cook until soft.
- Then add the celery, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, then add the lentils, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, dried basil, rosemary, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Mix well and bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water and add the spiral pasta.
- Place a steel colander on top of this pot with the green beans in it, then cover and allow the beans to steam on top of the simmering pot of pasta, a couple of minutes should do.
- Remove when done and cook the pasta until tender. Strain and place on a serving bowl.
- Stir in fresh basil and sliced olives into the Bolognese lentil sauce just before serving on top of the pasta.
Have you made this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us - @veganeasy — we can't wait to see it!
DinnerItalianGluten FreeLow Fat